July 13, 2012

Guest Review: When Harry Met Molly by Kieran Kramer


Or friend and fellow blogger, Sarah, is back with another wonderful review. This time a fun historical romance!

About Sarah: Who am I? I'm a part-time library science student, part-time librarian, and full-time mom. When I'm not wrangling my little girl or my husband, I'm reading all sorts of books to be able to recommend that "next" book for shy readers or those new to the romance genre. I can be found on Goodreads or on my blog at sarahsbookshelf.com.

This past week I found myself in an awkward spot. I have a huge TBR pile, but nothing was holding my interest for more than a few moments. I made the decision to do something I very rarely do: reread a book I remembered liking. I am so glad I did, because the second reading was even better than the first! The book was When Harry Met Molly, which was the debut historical romance by Kieran Kramer, the first installment of the Impossible Bachelor series.

We meet Lady Mary "Molly" Fairbanks as a hopelessly romantic young child. The bane of her young existence is Harry Traemore, the younger brother of her sister, Penelope's, fiance. Molly has caught Harry kissing Penelope, and feels it's her sisterly duty to her sister's fiance to share a lightly veiled poem exposing the fiasco. Her impetuous and outspoken nature spur her father to send her away in hopes of making her more docile and a less outspoken young lady. Fast-forward eight years and we meet Molly again as she's ready to elope with her father's assistant, Cedric. Although Molly has learned how to be a lady, she cannot change who she is and she has set forth to marry her father's assistant, Cedric. While in the tavern on a short break, they see Harry and his mistress, whom Cedric falls madly in love at first sight with and runs off, leaving Molly all alone. Harry is in a bit of a pickle himself, because he's on his way to a week-long meeting of the Impossible Bachelors and their respective mistresses for a game created by the Prince Regent. These two decide to make a truce in order to help the other out of the situation. Molly becomes Harry's false mistress and he offers to help her find a suitable husband following the week at one of his family's estates.

I love stories that have these outrageous premises, like false mistresses. You just cannot go wrong with something as outrageous as that. Molly is actually one of my favorite characters--in any book--because she epitomizes the strong, independent heroine who doesn't really understand why she can't just be herself or say what's on her mind. It takes meeting someone as strong as her (in this case, Harry) for her to realize that her nature isn't a bad thing. She's clever, funny, and naive, but also a fast learner. Harry is jaded due to his family's low expectations. It takes meeting someone like Molly, who challenges and spars with him, to realize that he's worth more than he originally believed.

This is such a great historical romance. I'm just getting into the genre and hesitated a long time before I made the plunge because I like light-hearted and funny romances. I like my heroines, especially in period pieces, to be very strong and sometimes quirky, but the situations need to keep me interested. This book really tied all the things that I like and kept me interested until the very last page. Kramer will have a new series coming out in August called The House of Brady and the first book is Loving Lady Marcia. I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on this book. I've read the other books in the Impossible Bachelor series and really enjoyed them, as well, although this book is my favorite of that bunch. If you are looking for a fun historical, give this one a shot. There are moments of drama, but on the whole, it's a light-hearted farce that you'll enjoy.

Review by Guest Reviewer
Grade: 4.5
Sensuality: between McDreamy/McSexy
Purchase: Amazon


Synopsis:

Dashing Lord Harry Traemore is perfectly content to live out his days in the pursuit of pleasure. But when he’s named by the Prince Regent as one of society’s “Impossible Bachelors,” Harry is drafted into a ribald romantic wager. The rules of engagement are scandalously simple: The bachelor whose mistress wins the title of “Most Delectable Companion” gets to remain unmarried. Harry is utterly unconcerned about his status...until his latest lightskirt abandons him. 
Enter Lady Molly Fairbanks. Harry’s childhood friend— actually, “foe” is more like it—is the most unlikely companion of all. She’s attractive but hot-headed, and in no mood for games. Besides, what could the self-indulgent Harry possibly know about what makes a woman delectable? It’s time for Molly to teach him a lesson once and for all...but will it lead to “happily ever after”?

When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors) by Kieran Kramer
St. Martin's Paperbacks. November 2, 2010

2 comments:

  1. I love the titles for this series so much and I think they are exactly the kinds of romance books I like-light, hilarious, fast-paced! I will be reading her new series with the Brady family soon and I hope I love it as much as you love this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the title too. I prefer my historicals dramatic, but this one has been on my radar for a while, I'll have tor try it. I've heard of the Brady family historical, I've never been a fan of the series but I'm curious about it, the cover is really pink ;-)

      Delete

Blogger likes to eat comments, so I suggest copying it before hitting "publish" just in case it doesn't go through the first time. This is a pain, I know, but it's the only solution/prevision I can think of, and it will save you the frustration of losing a comment. Also, thanks for visiting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

FTC Disclaimer

The books reviewed here were purchased by us. If the book was provided by the author or publisher for review, it will be noted on the post. We do not get any type of monetary compensation from publishers or authors.